Moving within the US?


As an Indian American I am always amazed that the ratio of Indian Americans who have moved state or cities is larger than the one who have never done so! This is some thing we come across every day. Oh you moved from California, where were you before that? We just take it for granted that a fellow Indian American would have moved at least one sate...

Though  I have never thought so much about it myself. Having lived in half a dozen states my self. So why is it that we move so much? Job I know is a major reason. But moving here in the states is so much easier, palatable than back home. I know many of us have never moved, we landed in one state or one city and have always been there, but there are a larger number who have moved. Job always seems to be the number one reason for moving. How ever back in India, would we not go the extra mile in finding a different job in the same city? I know there are numerous considerations here like Visa and so on. How ever could it be that we have not been in a state long enough to have built those social ties. That making it easier to move.

Every one would have numerous takes on the reasons. That is why I bring this up today. Looking back at all my moves, I always think what would be had I not moved or what would be if I moved else where? But one thing I know is moving teaches you. It is one of the best practical teachers in life. You learn how to adjust to new places. How ever in the US moving is easier. Every state has a Walmart, Starbucks, DMV, Apartments to rent and the list goes on and on. So that means things are pretty much standard here in the states and moving would not mean expecting something out of the ordinary. But then it does teach you. No matter how standard things are.

When you move you meet new people see new places. Then you may see a pattern where a majority of people you come across in your new state resemble the ones you left behind in your prior!

One thing I always find is the thrill and excitement in moving. Initially it was scary the first few moves but with every move you get better and better. There comes a point where you start looking forward to the move. I have to admin some of my moves were not for Job but for affordability and to achieve more on the happiness index of getting more material things for ones family. The same dollar will buy you a whole lot more if you were in some state compared to some other.

Moving is exiting, its land mark in ways. When you look back at your life in US, one can not help but compartmentalize ones life chapters in the states or cities they have lived in. How can I forget about the comparison phase! When one compares every thing with the prior state! I have met people who do this for years after moving.

In essence for me moving is refreshing & life changing. Is like a flowing river. Many may not share the same views on moving. Majority may not like moving. But then after moving so much like majority of immigrant Indian Americans, I wonder where life takes me next!

Happy moving...

Moving within the US? Moving within the US? Reviewed by Unknown on March 08, 2016 Rating: 5

No comments

Post AD